History of the Hall

PLAISTERERS’ HALL IS THE LARGEST AND ONE OF THE FINEST CITY LIVERY HALLS IN LONDON.

Located in the heart of the City of London, Plaisterers’ Hall is a purpose built venue offering all the luxury and ambience of a prestigious venue with the technical facilities of a modern space.

The company’s first hall was bequeathed by William Elder, Citizen and Plaisterer in 1556. It was situated on the corner of Addle Street and Philip Lane but was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. Its second hall was built in 1669 to the design of Sir Christopher Wren, although this too met the same sad fate by being destroyed by fire in 1882. The third hall on the site was destroyed during a bombing raid in 1940.

The current Plaisterers’ Hall, opened in November 1972, reflects the grandeur of a bygone era in an ultra-modern setting. Its décor is of the neo-classical style created by Robert Adam in the 18th century with various Robert Adam designs having been faithfully reproduced in great detail both on plaster and wood, some being taken from his original moulds.

The hall, set within One London Wall and designed by Foster + Partners, backs on to the remains of the original London Wall, which dates back to the 3rd century when the Romans built it.

If you’d like to find out more about hosting events in the hall, please contact us on:
020 7796 9333
hello@plaisterershall.com